Every Child is Different
Children come in all sizes, shapes, temperaments and learning styles. What works best for one child may not work for another. When it comes to working with children who have unique qualities, special needs or who find the classroom establishment and its protocols challenging, it is imperative parents recognize these realities and become responsive.
Children themselves rarely have the complex language to convey their true experience when struggling in Napierville schools. They’ve yet to even understand themselves or what they need. Thankfully, psychoeducational assessments make it possible for Napierville educators and parents to get a snapshot and an informed picture of who the child is and what they need.
What is a Psychoeducational Assessment in Napierville?
A Psychoeducational assessment in Napierville is a type of testing aimed at identifying strengths and weaknesses in a child’s learning and development. The root of many childhood learning challenges can be identified through this type of testing. A psycho-educational assessment is able to generate a learning profile that takes into account a child’s educational competencies and shortcomings. It’s able to identify learning disorders such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, Cognitive disorders and intellectual Disabilities that interfere with learning. It is a thorough examination which attempts to identify the problem and put a plan in place to resolve or support the child with the issue
How do I know if my child needs a Psychoeducational Assessment in Napierville?
Common signs that might indicate an educational assessment in Strathmore might be useful include:
- Complains about child’s focus and attention in Class
- Producing low grades when effort is there
- Challenges with starting, planning or completing homework task
- Anxiety towards tests or graded work
- Inability to write or read according to his /her age level
- Difficulty with a subject matter that translates into other areas e.g. math
- Issues getting along with others
- Fantasizing or daydreaming in class
- Lack of confidence and Self esteem
- Leaned helplessness and unwillingness to even try
- Becoming reactive when asked to do challenging work
- Fiddling and doodling instead of doing work
- Lacking in understanding of certain subjects and inability to grasp no matter how hard they try
- Consistent failed attempts to use a tutor with no success
Students in Napierville facing one or more of these issues may have an un-diagnosed learning disability or other hidden challenges.
Why Get a Psychoeducational Assessment in Napierville?
Psychoeducational Assessments performed in Napierville are extremely helpful in terms of shedding light on the truth about a child’s learning experience. It eliminates the guessing game and allows important decisions to be made based on facts and evidence. Psychoeducational assessments helps those involved clarify the expectations of a student and evaluate whether those expectations are fair and if they are being met. A thorough completed educational assessment will include useful information about a child’s learning environment, recommended resources, academic support, placement, advancement, and special conditions.
When an Assessment is completed in Napierville, parents and educators will have;
- A holistic picture of a child’s strengths and weakness as it relates to academics, information Processing and learning style in a full report
- A formal diagnosis if one exists
- A customized plan put in place to set out goals, outcomes and a process to achieve them
- Accommodations and adjustments to child learning environments if needed. This may include
Provisions to have extra time on tests, use technology, specialized pens for recording notes, different options for testing, regular breaks when needed and creative alternatives to finish homework
Justin was a seven (7) year old boy who lives in Napierville. He was an incredibly active, so much so teachers complained or his restlessness in class and his inability to sit still during circle time. Instead of focusing on his work, he would play with his pencil and starting provoking the other students. When the teacher spoke to Justin and told him to do his work and settle down, Justin replied I’m trying to! This was often Justin’s response “I am trying to”. Justin’s mom got frustrated with the frequent calls from his teachers and decided to pay for a private psychoeducational assessment in Napierville with psychologist. The results were as expected. Justin has ADHD and a learning disorder. His anxiety, insecurity and inability to control behaviour were misconstrued as merely bad behaviour. When Justin’s parents created a team which consisted of his teacher, his paediatrician, a tutor and counsellor. Over time Justin’s experience within school improved. His marks got better, had better relationships with his peers and his self-esteem increased.
For more information on scheduling an initial consultation to learn about psychoeducational assessments and whether it would be beneficial for your child, please call us at 866-503-7454